Forest Hill, MD, Sept. 21, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today announced the program for ApacheCon, its official conference.
Apache products power half the Internet, petabytes of data, teraflops of operations, billions of objects, and enhance the lives of countless users and developers. ApacheCon brings developers and users together to explore key issues in building Open Source solutions "The Apache Way".
ApacheCon returns to Europe 5-8 November 2012 at the Rhein-Neckar-Arena in Sinsheim, Germany, attracting Open Source users, developers, gurus, students, novices, and enthusiasts to the newly-introduced "Community Edition" of ApacheCon --a smaller, less formal event aimed at a more technically-oriented audience, and featuring an array of sessions focused on Apache projects and initiatives, plus MeetUps, FastFeather and Community Tracks, Hackathon, and BarCamp. This is an ideal opportunity for technologists currently developing Apache-based solutions, as well as those interested in committing code to an Apache project, contributing to the Apache Incubator, or enhancing their Open Source products and community practices.
ApacheCon Europe Community Edition is organized and run by the Apache community with assistance from The Open Bastion, producers of ApacheCon North America 2013. In keeping with the community-driven culture of the ASF, all content for ApacheCon has been selected by Apache Project Management Committees. Sessions and speakers across 13 tracks include:
Apache Daily --the tools, frameworks, and components used on a daily basis, such as Apache Logging, Apache Maven, Apache Ant, Apache Buildr, Apache Commons, and more.
· World of Logging - Christian Grobmeier
· Unit- and Integration Testing with Maven - Karl-Heinz Marbaise
· Faster builds with Apache Buildr - Tammo van Lessen
ApacheEE --all about Java Enterprise projects at the ASF, including Apache OpenWebBeans, Apache OpenEJB, Apache TomEE, Apache Tomcat, Apache MyFaces, Apache DeltaSpike, Apache BVal, and Apache OpenJPA.
· Apache TomEE, Java EE 6 Web Profile on Tomcat - David Blevins
· Tomcat 8 preview - Mark Thomas
· Modern Web Application Development With Apache Struts 2 - Rene Gielen
Big Data [sponsored by Hortonworks] --the ASF projects at the forefront of high-volume performance, innovation, and analytics, such as Apache Cassandra, Apache Hadoop, Apache HBase, Apache Hive, Apache Kafka, Apache Mahout, Apache Pig, Apache Whirr, Apache ZooKeeper and friends.
· Choosing the right tool for your data analysis task - Apache Mahout in context - Isabel Drost-Fromm
· From Incubation to Continuous Ingestion - The Story of Apache Gora - Lewis John McGibbney
· Taking the guesswork out of your Hadoop Infrastructure - Steve Watt
Camel in Action --common problems, solutions, and best practices with Apache Camel.
· Apollo and future of ActiveMQ - Dejan Bosanac
· Apache Camel - Advanced Techniques - Hadrian Zbarcea
· Next Generation Systems Integration in the Cloud Era with Apache Camel - Kai Wähner
Cloud [sponsored by Citrix and HP] --many Apache initiatives play a key role in powering today's Cloud, from Apache Libcloud and Deltacloud, to Apache Whirr, Accumulo, and Cloudstack, to Apache Hadoop + friends.
· Integrating Social Apps with Content Driven Sites using Apache Rave and Spring HMVC - Ate Douma
· Apache CloudStack Scalability - Kevin Kluge
· Building a scalable multi-tenant Application Server on the Cloud using Tomcat, Axis2 & Synapse - Senaka Fernando
Community --if you've ever wanted to know how to become involved with the ASF --from becoming a Committer to bringing a project to the Apache Incubator to learning how the ASF works-- or are seeking information on how Open Source can benefit your organization or ways to improve your Open Source community experience, this is the place to roll up sleeves and get started.
· Open Source Masterclass - Life in the Apache Incubator - Jukka Zitting
· Bringing Open Source to Space: Challenges and Success - Luc Maisonobe
· Can I depend on Software built By Volunteers? - Ross Gardler
Linked Data --adopting, linking, and interoperating the Web of Data using the latest in annotating, processing, extracting, reasoning, and semantics with Apache Jena, Apache Any23 (Incubating), Apache Clerezza (Incubating), and Apache Stanbol (Incubating).
· Solr-based search & tagging services at ZEIT Online GmbH - where metadata come from - Christoph Goller
· Publishing Linked Data - Lessons Learned in Government - Nandana Mihindukulasooriya
· Writing a Semantic Web with Scala on Clerezza - Reto Bachmann-Gmür
Lucene/Solr and Friends [co-located with Lucene Eurocon; sponsored by LucidWorks] --the latest in search and analytics with Apache Lucene/Solr, Apache Tika, Apache ManifoldCF and more.
· Personalized Search on the Largest Flash Sale Site in America - Adrian Trenaman
· ElasticSearch in Production: lessons learned - Anne Veling
· Stump The Chump: On The Spot Solutions To Your Real Life Solr/Lucene Challenges - Chris Hostetter
Modular Java --developing and deploying applications in public and private Cloud environments using Apache Felix, Apache ACE, Apache Karaf, Apache Aries, Apache Sling.
· OSGi for mere mortals - Bertrand Delacretaz
· OSGi best practices shown on Apache Karaf - Christian Schneider
· OSGi in the Cloud, a case study - Marcel Offermans
NoSQL Database --use cases and latest developments in dovetailing Big Data with Apache Cassandra, Apache HBase, Apache CouchDB, Apache Accumulo, and more.
· The CouchDB Ecosystem - Jan Lehnardt
· Mongo, its all the Rave - Matt Franklin
· Cassandra 2012: What's New and Upcoming - Sam Tunnicliffe
OFBiz --the ins and outs of Apache OFBiz (Open For Business), the Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning suite of applications that integrate and automate many business processes, including catalogue management, eCommerce, CRM, warehousing, manufacturing, project management, HR functionality, FiCo, and more.
· Training Center Management with OFBiz - Olivier Heintz
· OFBiz CRM, presentation, functionalities - Olivier Heintz
· OFBiz - an eCommerce Solution for mid- to large-sized companies - Paul Piper
OpenOffice [sponsored by Oracle] --the Apache OpenOffice ecosystem, with dedicated hackathons, MeetUps, and evening sessions, as well as use cases, and technical sessions on Writer, Calc, Impress, Math, Base, and Draw.
· Beyond Apache OpenOffice - Don Harbison
· Cloud Apache OpenOffice.org Based on HTML 5 - Jian Hong Cheng
· Globalization of OpenOffice - reach out to the world - Juergen Schmidt
Web Infrastructure --the backbone of the Web, including Apache HTTP Server, Apache Tomcat, Apache Traffic Server, and more.
· Performance: Scaling the Web with Apache - Igor Galić
· Building WebSockets Applications using Tomcat, Wicket and the Atmosphere Framework - Jean-Francois Arcand
· What's new in Apache HTTP Server 2.4 - Rich Bowen
The full presentation list is available at http://www.apachecon.eu/schedule/list/
Registration and Special Savings
Register by 1 October 2012 to take advantage of Early Bird rates with savings up to €150. Students benefit with a super-discounted registration rate of €75, made possible by a special subsidy from Google. Sign up today at http://www.apachecon.eu/tickets/
ApacheCon Europe is underwritten through a generous donation by Platinum Sponsor SAP. Joining them are Citrix, Google, Hortonworks, and LucidWorks at the Gold level; HP and Oracle at the Silver level; and evening events sponsor The Open Bastion. For sponsorship information, contact Melissa Warnkin at ea@apache or on +1 908 343 3214.
For media/analyst registration and briefings, contact Sally Khudairi on +1 617 921 8656 or email@example.com.
About The Apache Software Foundation
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server -- the world's most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 400 individual Members and 3,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)© not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Citrix, Cloudera, Facebook, Go Daddy, Google, HP, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, InMotion Hosting, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, WANdisco, and Yahoo!. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF on Twitter.
"Apache", "Apache Accumulo", "Apache ACE", "Apache ActiveMQ", "Apache Ant", "Apache Any23", "Apache Aries", "Apache Axis2", "Apache Buildr", "Apache BVal", "Apache Camel", "Apache Cassandra", "Apache Cloudstack", "Apache Clerezza", "Apache Commons", "Apache CouchDB", "Apache Deltacloud", "Apache DeltaSpike", "Apache Felix", "Apache Gora", "Apache Hadoop", "Apache HBase", "Apache Hive", "Apache HTTP Server", "Apache Incubator", "Apache Jena", "Apache Kafka", "Apache Karaf", "Apache Libcloud", "Apache Logging", "Apache Lucene", "Apache Mahout", "Apache ManifoldCF", "Apache Maven", "Apache MyFaces", "Apache OFBiz", "Apache OpenOffice", "Apache OpenEJB", "Apache OpenJPA", "Apache OpenWebBeans", "Apache Pig", "Apache Rave", "Apache Sling", "Apache Solr", "Apache Stanbol", "Apache Struts", "Apache Synapse", "Apache Tika", "Apache Tomcat", "Apache TomEE", "Apache Traffic Server", "Apache Whirr", "Apache Wicket", "Apache ZooKeeper", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
# # #
Sally Khudairi Vice President The Apache Software Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org +1 617 921 8656
The Apache Software Foundation
Forest Hill, Maryland, UNITED STATES
Sally Khudairi Vice President The Apache Software Foundation email@example.com +1 617 921 8656
The Apache Software Foundation Logo